After much thought and careful consideration, you have chosen to get rhinoplasty. Now that you have made your decision, you will want to find the best surgeon in New York City to perform the nose job surgery. Begin your journey to a new you by following these helpful tips. If you are considering rhinoplasty, this step-by-step guide from Dr. Philip J. Miller will help you understand what to expect from your procedure.
*Patient results may vary.
Dr. Miller is widely acclaimed as one of New York City’s premier cosmetic and facial plastic surgeons. With more than 20 years experience, he is a double board certified in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery and is consistently voted one of the Best Doctors in America, as well as a Top Doctor of New York.
Those who have wide nostrils, wide noses, narrow noses, dorsal humps, a high bridge, low bridge, experienced a broken nose, has a deviated septum, crooked nose, upturned nose, a symmetric tip or bulbous tips nose are all ideal candidates for rhinoplasty. Candidates must be at least 16 years old to receive rhinoplasty surgery.
*Patient results may vary.
Watch videos of NYC patients who had rhinoplasty procedure performed by Dr. Philip Miller. Checkout the videos below of patients’ experience after their surgery and their amazing results after post-op.
Dr. Philip Miller’s office is conveniently located near 60 E. 56th & Park New York, New York 10022.
You can call Dr. Miller to set up your rhinoplasty consultation and surgery at (646) 791-3112.
Selecting a Surgeon
Make a list of plastic surgery offices in New York City that are located close to your home or job, and those that come highly recommended by friends or family members. Visit each office for a consultation and don’t stop searching until you find an office that is clean, has friendly, professional staff and the doctor is board certified in the state of New York. Check credentials and licenses by either asking the doctor directly or conducting an online search. Avoid surgeons that are rude, don’t provide licensing or education information and who seem rushed.
Dr. Philip Miller has been voted a Realself Top Doctor.
Realself Top Doctor is a recognition awarded to less than 10% of doctors. This status is earned by achieving highest patient satisfaction.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
The most noticeable benefit is an improved physical appearance. However, depending on the reason for surgery, it can also improve the function of the nose, especially if surgery is done to fix a broken nose or deviated septum. A boost in self-confidence and one’s appearance is a common benefit in most patients. The pros of rhinoplasty include improved self esteem, balance to the face and the alleviation of breathing issues.
Types of Rhinoplasty
Also referred to as an external rhinoplasty, the open rhinoplasty technique connects the incisions which are hidden inside the nostrils to an external skin incision across the columella – the strip of skin located between the nostrils.
Open rhinoplasty allows a surgeon better access to the interior structures. This is important when major reshaping must be done. It gives the surgeon more latitude to manipulate the nasal shape. Open rhinoplasty is especially helpful in situations where extensive correction is required and in more complex revision rhinoplasty procedures.
Pros of Open Rhinoplasty
- Easier surgical access
- Allows for more significant revisions
Cons of Open Rhinoplasty
- Prolonged recovery
- Produces an external incision
With closed rhinoplasty, the surgeon conducts all nasal reshaping through incisions hidden within the nostrils. While it is a less invasive procedure, it requires more surgeon skill to perform, since the entire operation is conducted with limited visibility and through only a narrow incision inside the nostril.
Pros of Closed Rhinoplasty
- No visible scarring
- Less recovery time
Cons of Closed Rhinoplasty
- Difficult to perform
- Limits the ability to perform all rhinoplasty techniques
- Revision Rhinoplasty – This procedure repairs undesirable results from a previous surgery.
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty –Specific characteristics and concerns are addressed for each ethnicity including Asian, Jewish, African-American, Hispanic, Persian, Korean and Middle Eastern.
- Microrhinoplasty™ – This procedure removes bumps or humps located on the nose. The technique is less invasive than the traditional rhinoplasty technique. A tiny incision to the nostril is made to allow access to remove bony layers using a specialized microrasp.
- Liquid Rhinoplasty – This non-surgical treatment modifies the shape of the nose while utilizing hyaluronic acid fillers such as Jevederm, Perlane and Restylane.
- Nose Reduction – This procedure removes bone and nasal cartilage and can rearrange or trim the nose to have a smaller shape.
- Septoplasty – Those who have a deviated septum will most benefit from this procedure. It realigns the wall between two nostrils by using incisions that are hidden within the nostrils.
Nose Job Surgery Procedure
1. Book your consultation. Schedule an appointment with the surgeon to discuss your treatment goals. Provide any medical records and previous health issues you had in the past.
2. Schedule your surgery. Select a time frame where you can miss work and can take several days off for recovery.
3. Prepare for surgery. Have your evaluation complete, any required blood work as well as any medications and supplied recommended by your surgeon.
4. Arrive for procedure. Follow instructions regarding pre-op and make sure your have arranged a friend or a family member to drive you back from the procedure. It is also recommended to have someone stay with you for at least a day after your nose job surgery. Procedure may last up to 1 to 2 hours. Patients can recoup in a hotel, recovery facility or return home based on the recommendations of your surgeon. Rest after surgery.
5. Relax for the rest of the day after your rhinoplasty. Expect to miss about a week of work.
6. Follow post-surgical instructions. Keep your head elevated to reduce swelling. Take medications to prevent infection and pain as directed.
7. Attend follow-up visits. You will need to visit your surgeon’s office for post-op visits for bandage removal and recovery check-ups. You will be advised when you can return to normal activities.
8. Enjoy your new nose! Complete healing after your nose job may take up to one year. Swelling, slight headache, and congestion may occur during the first year.
Patients who undergo rhinoplasty surgery can expect to feel pain and have swelling of your nose and around your eyes for about 10 to 14 days after surgery. Medication is prescribed by the doctor to help minimize pain and discomfort. It may take up to several weeks to return to strenuous activity.
Before and After Rhinoplasty Photos
Below are rhinoplasty before and after photos of NYC patients who had nose job surgery performed by Dr. Miller.
Cost and Finance Options
Costs for rhinoplasty in New York City can vary based on patient’s needs and goals. While most plastic surgeon offices try to stay within the same price range, you will find that prices may fluctuate due to anesthesia and surgeon fees. Your health insurance may cover a portion of the cost and most plastic surgery offices offer finance plans. The most important thing to remember is to not sacrifice on the price. At times, discounted prices result in unsatisfactory results. It’s recommended to find the best qualified and licensed surgeon and inquire about their finance plan if you are unable to pay the entire cost out of pocket.
Remember to choose a licensed surgeon in the state of New York and make sure the staff is friendly and the office is clean and all tools are sanitary. You can always ask to contact previous patients to learn of their experience with the doctor and the surgery to give you more of an idea of what to expect. Always pay attention at the consultation and understand what the results will be. Most of all enjoy your experience to becoming a better you!
To receive more information on rhinoplasty or to schedule your consultation in NYC with double board certified surgeon Dr. Philip Miller, please call 646-791-3112 or fill out the contact form.